Home » June 2019 »Regular Features » Currently Reading:

Know your town

June 18, 2019 June 2019, Regular Features No Comments

Destruction following the 1942 earthquake . A path has been cleared to allow customers to get into the shop.

George Pain corner

For those who think Pain and Kershaw’s was established on the Square in Martinborough in 1873 , please think again. The building there now is the third George Pain Building,  having been completed in July 1908. The first store and dwelling was built in 1873 on George Pain’s land in where the road branched south to go to the  Smith and Bidwill’s farms or west to the Inn and Ferry crossing.  The track is now the boundary of Martinborough Transport yards.

The store was run by George Pain’s wife while he went around the  Stations selling good  from his pack horses. There is  no photo of this store but it was probably of the same  plan as his second store.

George Pain later sold his business to John Gallie however a few years later he  bought the  business back from Gallie and  formed a partnership with  T O Haylock to form the company Pain and Haylock.  John Kershaw was the accountant for this company becoming a third party in 1899 with the store then trading as Pain, Haylock and Kershaw. John Kershaw bought out  Haylock in 1905 with George Pain becoming a silent partner at that time. 

The second store was opened on the Martinborough section in 1882. It was a stop gap building as while the present building was planned and built. 

In 1907 work started on an new upmarket building on the Square, this featured an ornate façade. The Kershaw family bought the building from the  George Pain Estate when he died. 

On the night of July 22nd 1908,  just as the new store was preparing to open, store number two caught fire and burned down.

During the 1942 Wairarapa earthquake most of the facade fell down and that which didn’t was pulled down  by the army First Battalion Scottish Regiment  who camped in the Town Hall during the operation. Grimmer and Bicknell builders from Carterton boarded up the frontage  to make the building workable.  In the early 1950s Riggs did the complete restoration of the building. 

In 1973  the company celebrated one hundred years of service and is now looking forward to the one hundred and fifty years celebration in 2023. Over the years  both the Pain and Kershaw families have given freely to many causes in the district.

Mate Higginson

Comment on this Article:

Sports

The mighty green and black

Its been a long time coming, 28 years in fact but Martinborough are proud holders of the Tui Cup!!  Our Premier team won against Gladstone in a close entertaining game 36-32.  It felt like the whole town was at the game and the support was heard and noticed by the …

Martinborough Golf Round-Up

As we pass into our final month of Winter with Spring creeping ever closer, it’s always uplifting to see lambs in the paddocks – especially when they’re appreciating a beautiful day of sunshine of which we have been lucky to enjoy several in July. By in large the golf hasn’t …

Martinborough Ladies’ Hockey Club

The Martinborough Ladies Hockey Club are having a successful season in the Women’s 2 grade this year. Having retained most of last years’ players and gaining a few new younger ones, the team has managed to win more games this season. Team morale is high with playoffs upon us, with …

Regular Features

Waihinga Centre

This special feature is brought to you jointly by the Waihinga Charitable Trust and South …

Fire Brigade report

The Brigade held its 112th Annual General Meeting last week with Chief Fire Officer  Bill …

Country Dog City Dog

Under The Martinborough Stars

By Becky Bateman “…That’s one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind…” I …

New Villas for Wharekaka

Martinborough residents will have been following with interest the new buildings going up on Suez …

Inner Wheel Club of South Wairarapa

The Greytown Shared Pantry is now up and running thanks to a joint effort by …

News from First Church

Weekly Sunday gatherings are taking place in our hall from till the end of September. …

Recent Comments